I’ve been thinking and studying callings a lot lately. I’ve started John Bevere’s study “Called” (which I highly recommend) and the information has been extremely eye opening. As students in high school, teens are expected to decide what to do for the rest of their lives. If you really think about it, it sounds astronomically ridiculous. We are supposed to know what to decide for ourselves what to do for the rest of our lives at 18?! No wonder so many people are miserable at their jobs! HUMANS ARE NEVER EQUIPPED TO DECIDE THEIR CALLING! So why would we think we could do it at 18?
When we decide what to do after school, we think about what WE want. We think about what WE are good at. How much money WE want to make. How long WE want to go to school. The benefits WE want. What a recipe for disaster!!! How can we expect God to bless the plans we make ourselves. Why would we think we could do God’s job? Let me be the first to say that I’m not very good at His job! I spent two years in college pursuing my own interests before I finally sought God on my calling and let Him redirect my steps. We can’t pursue our own interests and expect His blessing. It’s that simple.
At the end of our days we will give an account for how we lived out our days on this planet. We will be held responsible for THE THINGS WE DID IN OUR CALLING! Yes, you read that right. You are responsible for living out the call that God has placed on your life. He has given us a divine purpose, and it is so so important that we fulfill His plans.
Here’s what you need to know about your calling:
- Your calling is specific to you: You have been given a purpose. You have plans to fulfill. If you ignore the call of God on your life, then your Kingdom work will be completed by someone who is willing.
- Servant is your identity: If you aren’t seeking to serve God and people, then you aren’t living out God’s will. You can only please the Lord when you are doing His will. Jesus, King of the Universe, came to the Earth to serve and not to be served. We must follow His example to live in His will.
- God has things to say about you: He tells us that we have a purpose. He says that we are loved, even after all that we have done. He says He can use us as long as we are WILLING AND OBEDIENT. He says we are His children! He wants the best for His kids and gives us the perfect call for our strengths and skills.
- It may surprise you: When God revealed to me that I was called to ministry, I honestly wondered if I was hearing Him right. I wondered if He had the right person. If He knew what an imperfect person He was telling to serve Him in the ministry. He revealed to me that He makes no mistakes. I later found out that nobody else was really surprised by my calling. It seemed to fit me after I finally agreed to do what God wanted instead of pursue my own interests. Be willing to do ANYTHING He tells you because only He has control.
- It might be uncomfortable: When you live according to His will, things tend to get uncomfortable at times. Our flesh doesn’t like to be inconvenienced. It is harder to walk by faith than by sight. It was terrifying for me to shift my focus after working (HARD) for two years towards a degree that I will likely never use. However, if I had talked to God about my calling before I ran full force in a direction He wasn’t calling me to, I would never have needed to turn around. James 4:17 tells us, “Remember, it is a sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it.” This verse does not only apply to living a wholesome life. It also means that not following what God directly tells you is a SIN!
- The benefits package is pretty great: Eternal fulfillment and rewards sound pretty great? Yeah, I thought so too. But that’s not all! He gives us rewards in this life too when we choose to follow His lead! How great is that news?! GOD IS SO GREAT! He rewards us for walking in the amazing plans He designed specifically for us before we were even born! WHAT?! How awesome is that deal?! YES PLEASE!!
If thinking about the call on your life makes you want to jump out of your seat, you’re not alone! It is so exciting that our God has plans just for us that will FULFILL THE DESIRES OF OUR HEARTS! Psalm 37:4 tells us, “Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.” So, delight in His ways and His plans because you will never feel more fulfilled.